TR7 oil/grease seals

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR7 oil/grease seals
From: jab@netrix.com
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 94 13:39:27 EST
>TeriAnn wrote
>The British have never been able to build an oil seal that works.

One good example of this is the seal between the bearing cover and the
hub on the rear of an early TR7.  I had to replace the wheel bearings
on the rear a couple of summers ago, and of course I did the seals too.
The seal that fits into the bearing cover is supposed to keep the grease
from getting out from the bearing and fouling the brakes, but there is
nothing to lubricate the surface between the seal and the hub.  Soooo,
after things get warm, the seal will disinigrate.  The seals actually
came as part of a kit from VB, so I'm not too heartbroken that they
failed.  So far, the brakes have stayed clean too.  Perhaps these seals
were just an attempt at over-engineering.

BTW, the machine shop that did the bearing swap had a hell of a time
getting the hubs removed from the halfshafts.  Anyone know if this
is common for the early TR7?  What is the preferred way to accomplish
this?  The manual sez that the wheel studs should not be used to pull
the hub.

  James A. Babcock, Software Engineer   Email:  jab@netrix.com
  Netrix Corporation                    Phone:  (703) 793-1020
  13595 Dulles Technology Drive         Fax:    (703) 742-4048
  Herndon VA  22071                     Std. Disclaimer Applies