Re: advice on B-GT's sought

To: jeffd@wes.mot.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: advice on B-GT's sought
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 94 09:45:40 -0800
In message <9403031504.AA01498@kay.wes.mot.com>  writes:
> And so I find myself seeking advice and guidance from the
> Scions of Lucas.............
>
> As I was running some errands after work yesterday, I happened to
> pass by a used car dealership and what to my wondering eyes should
> appear but a quite immaculate '73 B-GT.  Before I knew what was

Droll removed

> Drivability:  I need to go back and drive it.  I want to look at it again
> tonight ro tomorrow.  I do need assistance in approaching my baptism into
> SOL-do though.  From the experienced folks in netland, I would like to get
> help in answering:
>
> 1.)  What body/frame spots should I pay special attention to in looking for
> hidden or obvious signs of rust?  The B-GT does have Ziebart plugs
> in the door sills, BTW.  Will this sort of treatment do anything to
> harm the car?  I know originality/faithfulness from the factory is lost,
> but does the Ziebart goo help stop lbc's from rusting?

I can't help you much on the rust stuff, since my BGT is essentually rust free..
I would pay special attention to the sills and the areas behind the tyres.

> 2.)  I was short on time, and it was getting dark last nigh, so I did not
> take the car for a test drive.  What should I listen for?  What suspension
> woes should I be on the lookout for?

Look for wobbling of the front wheels, clunks when you put on the brakes.  Get
the car on a lift and look at the condition of the underside.  One place to look
is the bolts attaching the front suspension A arms.  If they are not lubed on a
regular basis they can wear and need replacing.  When you brake on a level
straight road you should not have any pulling to the side.  Look at brakes for
any sign of leakage.  The car uses DOT4 LEMA Castrol brake fluid.  If you find a
can of DOT 3 oil in the back with the spare tyre, figgure in a brake job and
relacing all the rubber hoses and seals on both wheels and master including the
clutch.

Engine:  Do a compression test.  Look for oil in the radiator and water in the
crank case.  The engine should idle without overheating. Oil pressure should be
50+

If the car has wire wheels jack it up and R&R each wheel to make sure one hasn't
bonded itself to the hub (It happens when you don't regrease them on a regular
basis).

Check to see if it has an overdrive.  A B is much happier with an overdrive for
highway driving

> 3.)  Personal comments and feelings are asked for here.  Although I was
> primarily looking for a droptop lbc, I feel that sometimes Providence
> puts things in your path for a reason.  How does a B-GT "compare" to a
> droptop MGB?  I know I would be giving up the tousled hair look, but is
> a B-GT still a fun car to drive?  It should be more rigid since it is a
> hardtop.  This will be a summer only and for fun car for me.  Will it
> work for the occasional autocross?

Personally I like the BGT better than the B roadster.  I think it has better
lines.  Its a better all weather car.  It has the whole back area to put things
into (A hatchback holds laundry, or groceries much better than a boot does).
Traditionally where parts differ between the fixed head and the drop head, the
Gt's parts are more heavy duity.  On the other hand, come summer you sure wish
it was a roadster.  But in winter or during rains your sure glad it isn't.  The
cure of course is to get both a fixed head coupe for bad weather and for
carrying things (A bale of hay fits into the back of a BGT) and a roadster for
the good weather.  I did.

If you want a roadster to go with the BGT, I highly recommend the Triumph 2
though 6.  You would just need to keep the cars separated so they don't fight.

> All inputs will be appreciated......Thankyouthankyouthankyou :-))
>
> -jeff
>
> --
> Jeff Dutkofski - Electrical Engineer             | IL33
> Motorola Inc. - Wireless Data Group              | Mail Stop M2
> 50 E. Commerce Dr. Schaumburg, IL 60173 USA      | Voice: 708-576-7153
> e-mail: jeffd@wes.mot.com                        | Fax: 708-576-8585

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561