Re: spridget hubs and bearings

To: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Subject: Re: spridget hubs and bearings
From: "Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 1994 14:49:53 PST
        You mean to say that later Midgets had roller bearings from the factory?
        I did not know that.

Apparently so - that's what someone else (Daren?) said when I asked him
about the swap. I'm pretty much a novice at this, so I can't say
authoritatively.

        > Interestingly, the guy at WC said that some racers put the distance
        > piece back in with a couple of shims and torque in a bunch of bearing
        > preload to help keep the stub axles from breaking...

        This is something I am not sorry not to have done.

Really? Did you have trouble with stub axles?

I'm contemplating a tube shock conversion for the Morris, since things
will be apart. Is it worth it? I know you've mentioned the WeRace
conversion via J.C. Whitney, I wonder if they have the same for a Morris?

Also, do you know if the disk-brake Midgets had a proportioning valve
to decrease braking in the rear drums? Seems like the difference
between disk and drum effectiveness would be enough!