Re: It doesn't FIT!

To: Andrews Peter F <andrewpf%geds@mhsgate.salem.ge.com>
Subject: Re: It doesn't FIT!
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 14:52:35 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 24 Feb 1994, Andrews Peter F wrote:

> Sometimes it's the little things that drive you nuts on these cars.
> Years ago in the the beginning of the (neverending) "clean up the parts"
> phase,  I picked the best set of "demister" nozzles from the two Bugeyes
> and slaved over them for who knows how long before producing the best
> looking nozzles you ever saw.  I carefully wrapped them up in paper
> towels (really!) and sealed them in a ziplock bag just waiting for the
> moment to install them onto the car.

(they wouldn't fit and he must now refinish a second set)

> I learned something last night though.

I think the lesson would depend on the student.  I suppose you learned
something like "measure twice and cut once."  The lesson I'd have carried
away is more like "it is flipping impossible to see the nozzles once they
are installed, and they are too well protected and dry to ever rust, so
spritz the suckers with a little black rustoleum and forgetem."  But ymmv.
Now, are you certain the #6 sheet metal screws will hold them?  I used
small phillips head (yes, I cheated) stainless steel pan head machine
screws with nuts, washers, and lock washers under the nozzles.  I was
concerned that sheet metal screws would not hold in the thin metal if the
defroster tubes exerted any force on the nozzle.

Ray