Shipwrite's Disease

To: britcars@northbeach.Corp.Sun.COM
Subject: Shipwrite's Disease
From: Volney.Spalding@Corp.Sun.COM (Volney Spalding)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 94 16:26:03 PST
Folks,

Teri Ann's Shipwrite's Disease reference reminds of perhaps the
definitive essay on the subject:  Peter Egan of Road and Track
(if there's anyone out there who hasn't come across him, his
column is called "Side Glances" or something like that.  He's a
long time regular columnist, but you all probably knew that...)
illustrated the condition rather nicely about 1.5 or 2 years ago.

I don't remember what issue it was, but Peter outlined the process
he went through getting a 68 B roadster ready for sale.  This is
from memory, so I could be wrong about the details, but...
Basically it was an original, tired B that he took pity on and
bought from a family friend (I think).  Regardless, he finally
realized he didn't have the bandwidth to take care of it (he did
a complete ground-up on a 7 which he raced for a few seasons, then
sold, but I digress...) so he resolved to sell it.

The only problem was that he couldn't in good concience sell it with a
bad master cylinder, so he took it out and fixed it.  But then
he couldn't very well put that clean new master cylinder back in that
cruddy, nasty spot, so he started cleaning around the area and that
led to.....  The next thing he knew, he was involved in yet *another*
complete restoration!

I personally cured myself of this problem by marrying a SO who
has no patience for this sort of thing (not a lot of peace and tranquility
in the household on this subject, but there is a sort of Yin and Yang
balance--someone recently said "guaranteed mutual destruction" that works.
Sort of.)

But I fear the disease is merely in remission....!

Anyway, if anyone knows what issue the article was in please post it....

Vol

vol@northbeach.corp.sun.com
Sun Microsystems