RE: MG MIDGET TOP

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MG MIDGET TOP
From: D.Freer@axion.bt.co.uk
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 94 11:45:41 +0000
Christoph,

I have recently had a new soft top fitted to my Midget.
It came with header rail and was cut from the original
cloth templates by a Coventry firm (I am told).

I have to say that I am quite disappointed with it.

Firstly the material is very tight. After taking it down on
a sunny day (in December), I had a real job putting it
back up again. I have only managed to do one of the header
rail clips up. I contacted the MG owners club, and they
tell me that the vinyl expands in the warmer weather so
that it will be then possible to fasten corectly. I'll
have to wait and see!

Secondly, it doesn't seem to fit very well. There is more
of an overhang on one side of the car than on the other -
so that one side is more air-tight. The press-studs onto
the window frame don't fit and the velcro doesn't hold
very well.

MG Owners club recommend that hoods are fitted in summer -
the garage admitted to having an awful job fitting it in
winter - otherwise you may have to use a hairdryer to
expand the vinyl.

David Freer.