Maybe Scott was right

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Maybe Scott was right
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 94 10:22:40 -0800
A month or so ago Scott #1 posted a reply saying how MGs and Triumphs dont get
along and how my BGTs problems were because I spend more time rebuilding the 3.

Yesterday morining on the way in to work the SMOG pump seized taking out the fan
belt.  I pulled into a service station & paid to have them replace the fan belt
while I had breakfast across the street.  $30 poorer, I went to my local hose
shop with the fittings I purchased from Rovers North.  After ordering a
completely new set of hydrolic lines for the TR3, I got about 5 miles before the
engine lost power and sounded like the engine was soon to go for the long
distance piston throw record.

I pulled off on a side road, called a two truck & go her towed home.  I kept
thinking that this isn't fair with all the work I have done on her lately.  If I
had net acess set up at home you would have seen an add something like

FOR sale:
'68 MGBGT. no rust (except for paint scratches), only dents in front wings.
Interior in OK condition. needs new fuzzy seals.  No cracks in instrument panel.
Motoleta wood sterring wheel.

Head recently rebuilt with all new exhaust valves and hardened seats, intake and
exhaust. Carbs recently rebuilt and rebushed by TRF.  New brake pads/shoes, new
rebuilt calapers & wheel cylinders.  New petrol tank, distributer rebuilt.

Within last two years had overdrive transmission rebuilt, new clutch, new fuel
pump, radiator rodded out.

Within last four years, rear end rebuilt, new master brake cylinder, rebuilt
altenator, new front grill.

Comes with new interior door panels + assorted misc parts.

SMOG pump seized, strange noise in engine

$1500 where is, as is (with wire wheels). Minilite look-alikes & new tyres for
an additional $1600.  Make offer before I have it crushed.

Then there was going to be a companion add:

 Wanted TR4, '65 or earlier, good condition.

I may yet still put these adds in.

After calming down, playng a couple of computer games, working a bit on the TR3.
I finally got around to trouble shooting the BGT.  I pulled the valve cover and
noticed the head of the #8 exhaust push rod had broken off and the adjuster
screw was jamed beside the pushrod.  The exhaust valve was not opening.  Meaning
each time the #7 intake opened all the air fuel mixture in the intake ignited.

I pulled the rocker arm shaft and pressed down on both the intake and exhaust
pushrods while someone turned over the engine for me.  They both went up & down
& felt alike.  So the cam was still intact & nothing was frozen inside the
engine.

Next I tried to run a compression test & discovered the folly of trying to do
this with the rocker arm off (really dumb TeriAnn). Next I moved a pushrod from
#1 to replace the one from #8, & mounted the rocker arm assy.  #8 seemed to work
properly & compression in #4 jug was where it should be. whew.

I went to my phone & ordered an overnight delivery of a new pushrod. (see no
ship fitteres disease).

My guess is an overlose rocker arm & high revs possibly with a structural
weakness in that push rod.  The valves were adjusted to 24 thousands to try to
pass SMOG.  I think I will reset them to 20 thousands (has nonstock cam of
unknown specs & only runs smoothly & well when set lose).

So I'm only that far away from seriously washing my hands of MGs & offering her
for sale or having her crushed (Revenge!)  Except I would need to save up for a
TR4 & a hard top.

TeriAnn

with the MGBGT love hate relationship now in its fifth year of trying to decide
whether to keep it or not.

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561