MK II Jag

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MK II Jag
From: Marcel Chichak <chichm@supernet.ab.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 94 9:55:17 MST
Garry,

You were telling new member Robert Bagramian:

>I can help you!  If you have a good running 3.8 Litre MkII, around 1966
>vintage, that you'd like to give away,...

Too bad you're so far away, I'd give you a '64. Well actually, I couldn't
do that, but I'd talk to dad. He picked up the Mk II in, what, '78? It's
so long ago now. The price was right an damn that thing looked good. In
retrospect I think it was a mid-life crisis taking hold of his senses
that forced him to hand over a cheque before he bent down to look under
it. Not 2 weeks later the autobox started leaking ( it hadn't run in years
and the seals were brittle). Upon jacking it up the rocker panels
scrunched up into the door sill; mental note:  fibre glass is not strong
enuough to support 3500 lb).

The big lump has been moved to 3 different houses with the family. The body
has been partly restored but it's now sitting in the snow (record for
January, 75 cm, this after a brown christmas!) and not improving with age.
The upholstery was new in 1977 and has been stored inside all along and
looks fine (ahh, the smell of conolly leather, mmmm).  The 3.8 engine was
removed and rebuilt and sits on a cradle in the shop not having turned a
piston in 12 years. Over the years I've picked up new bits and pieces
whenever I've come across them: headliner, $80, a box of door seals, hub
caps and assorted stuff, $100 and a set of XJ6 wheels and SP supers
for $ACHHH!. All this stuff sits, waiting for the day I peak my motivation...

But in the mean time I buy the magazines and try to motivate myself by
looking at articles of superb Mk II's. I also catch Inspector Morse and
dream....BUT FIRST THE COOPER DAMNIT!!

Cheers, and may we both meet at an all british one day and let the 'big
cats' meow together!