Caps for the Car Guys?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Caps for the Car Guys?
From: montnaro@ausable.crd.ge.com (Skip Montanaro)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 94 08:31:30 EST
(Warning - no LBC content & only a little SOL content!)

This notion just popped into my head, and I advance it with some
trepidation. How about sending a couple SOL caps to Click 'n' Clack, the
Tappet Brothers? I think they'd appreciate it. If nothing else, it would
give them some more grist for the mill, so to speak.

The reason I approach it with some hesitation is that I'm worried about
getting too well known. I run (well, not in this weather), and was a happy
subscriber to the Dead Runner's Society mailing list for quite some time.
Like SOL, we had t-shirts, etc. (I have a very nice DRS shirt that says
"Dead Runners Society" on the front and "carpe viam :-)" - yes, with the
smiley - on the back.) Someone on the list even sent one to Robin Williams.

Then fame hit. The list was written up in Newsweek, the Boston Globe, and a
couple of running magazines. I suspect most of you can imagine what happened
to the size of the list and the volume of mail. I had always been a reader
of the digest version of the list due to the amount of traffic, but after
fame swept through the list, I was getting three or four digests per day,
each substantially larger than the SOL digest. Naturally enough, the quality
of the digests seemed diluted as well.

On the positive side, there is a sort of built-in limit to the number of
British cars on the road. Only the few, the proud, the SOLers, could (or
would) want to participate. Maybe DRS should have lobbied for quotas on Nike
and Reebok...

Anyway, don't let my hermit-like nature discourage folks. Whaddya think?

(MJB, how's the slush (er disk) fund going? I should really send the Last
Chance Garage a small donation towards a disk. I've been meaning to...)

Skip (montanaro@crd.ge.com)