Re: Stag Engines

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stag Engines
From: Thomas.Jell@zfe.siemens.de (Thomas Jell)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 94 11:01:11 +0100
Hi Richard,

>Last month during the short thread about Stag engines, Tom Jell
>mentioned he was on the 4th engine in his Stag.  As another Stag
>owner I'm curious about what I have to look forward to.  I
>suspect the other Stag owners would like a respite from the
>antics of the more mundane members of the family.  So Tom, could
>you describe what happened that lead to each rebuild?

Here as requested the engine story of my STAG. As I bought the car almost a
year ago with a new engine in, I can't exactly tell what really happend to the
last ones.

But the car came with full documentation and ALL bills. So I can show what has
been repaired and add some comments.

KM  76849       by an official Leyland dealer

                short engine, new timing gears, chains
                old heads, just refaced.

KM 137190       by an official Leyland dealer

                both heads rebuilt

                (looks like they really did only half of the job)

KM 147316       by a Triumph restauration company (Alle de Haas)

                new bearings, new timing chains, new oil pump
                new head LH, rebuilt head RH (new one not available)
                added oil cooler

KM 161900       by an official Leyland dealer

                rebuilt heads, new pistons.

I'm now currently at about (still no speedo drive pinion) 165.000 km

Additional comments.

1. Noone replaced the timing chains as requested each 15000 miles.
2. After 147000 km the added an oil cooler.
3. I`m not sure what harm the wrong connected lumination did (see below).

Tom

Btw.: I now have fixed the starting problems. The engine didn't start from cold.

Some of the real electric profis connected the lumination (transistor ignition)
to the + of the coil ... gives you almost 6V ...

I'm only wondering who the engine run at all ???

I hope the did the engine rebuilt better ...

Thomas Jell                       |  '79 Spitfire (running, running, ...)
Siemens AG, Corporate R&D         |  '74 STAG     (running)
ZFE BT SE 41                      |  '63 TR 4     (being rebuilt)
Otto Hahn Ring 6                  |
81730 Muenchen                    |
E-mail : jell@km21.zfe.siemens.de |
Tel : +49 89 636 47405            |
Fax : +49 89 636 40757            |  +++ Long live MESA +++