Electrical problems, tire repairs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Electrical problems, tire repairs
From: Kirby Palm <palmk@freenet.scri.fsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 94 17:40:53 EST
>Date: Thu, 20 Jan 1994 09:39:27 -0800
>From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
>Subject: Staring Really Simple
>
>TeriAnn,
>
>I tried your suggestion last night (i.e., connecting a wire directly
from the battery to the coil, for those of you who haven't been
following this important discussion), but the problem persisted.  So,
it appears the ignition switch, the ballast resistor and the starter
solenoid (which houses the ballast resistor bypass relay) can be
eliminated as the source of the the snake's stumbling.

>Roland

OK, Roland, bear with us.  The next logical step is to take the same
jumper wire and run it directly from the negative terminal on the
battery directly to the distributor housing.  Fire the car up, and
check for stumbling again.  If it is gone, you have a ground problem.
Either a ground strap from engine to chassis, or from battery to
chassis, or some such.  These are likely here, since the engine
vibrating on its mounts can cause a poor ground connection to go
intermittent, causing the stumbling you're experiencing.

No, these do not exhaust the possibilities.  If this doesn't locate
the problem, report and we will provide the next test.

Also from Roland, regarding tire repairs:

>The attendant inflated the tire, threaded a rubber plug into a large
sewing needle like tool, pushed it into the hole and then withdrew the
tool. The part that really surprised me was the $12 charge. The last
time I'd had a tire repaired it had cost about $5-$6.

Roland, $12 is a reasonable price for a proper tire repair.
Unfortunately, you did not get a proper repair, you got ripped off.
The proper way to patch a tubeless tire (the ONLY safe way if the tire
is steel-belted) is to remove the tire from the rim, buff the area on
the inside around the hole, and glue a flat patch on the inside.  Some
shops mark the tire and reinstall it in the same place, but the better
ones will pull all the weights and rebalance it.  It is the full
treatment, with rebalancing, that typically costs $10-12.

While the plug method works sometimes, being out in the middle of
nowhere when your patched tire decides this one isn't gonna work just
ain't worth it.  If someone proposes to use a plug on your tire, take
your business elsewhere.

It must also be remembered that a puncture at the "corner" of the
tire, where the sidewall and contact area meet, should not be patched
at all.  The flexing will usually cause the patch to fail, whatever
type it is.
--
                                ---  Kirbert