Re: inflating flat tires

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, cobra@cdc.hp.com,
Subject: Re: inflating flat tires
From: Cory Carpenter <coryc@sequent.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 94 22:38:56 -0800
Tom Sabo writes:
>A few years back I bought a tire repair kit at a chain store with
>some rubber plugs, cement, and a T handled "needle" to repair a
>nail hole... Cost about $5, I think... The quality of the "needle"
>was very poor and it took me about a half hour to get the job done
>(I didn't say I knew what I was doing... but it looked so easy at
>the service station).  Next time I'll spend the 10-12 bucks...

To add my two bytes worth:  I've had a success rate of precisely 66.6%
with these kits, but I wouldn't say it was definitive because In each case I
bought new tires within 3-6 months.  I used one kit on the Plymouth, to
repair one of the used tires I bought when the old bias-plys that were on the
car when I got it wore out.

Oddly enough, the next two tries were on both rear tires of the Lotus -- one
had a well-worn nail in it, the other a rather new sheetmetal screw.  One
repair was saisfactory, the other tended to leak, but an occasional
application of fill 'n seal kept it roadable.  That's the short story on
why there's a Semperito Hi-Speed hanging on the garage wall, and a pair
of Pirelli P-77s on the car.  (The tire guy couldn't understand the
concept of saving an old tire as a spare... probably knew that I
wouldn't be able to find a wheel for it.)

-coryc

|     >> Disclaimer: I speak for Sequent only in our hardware manuals <<     |
| Cory R. Carpenter, Senior Tech Writer  | "The secret to life is, `don't    |
| Sequent Computer Systems, Incorporated |  take it personally.'"            |
|  coryc@sequent.com                     |           --Father Guido Sarducci |