Re: Some TR6 questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Some TR6 questions
From: Joe Flake <flake@d311510.atl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 94 11:55:23 EST
> Amanda (the TR6)
>
> 1) She's been making a nasty thump going over bumps in her left rear, which
>    now squeaks a bit all the time and still makes nasty thumps.  I *think*
>    it's the shock

The steady squeak might be any of the various moving places.  Look to
be sure the various rubber bushings are in place.  I don't remember
any points which specifically require greasing, but if you find the
guilty spot some spray lube (wd-40, etc) will TEMPORARILY ease the
noise 'til you replace things.

The "nasty thump" might be a missing/bad bumper which is supposed to hit
when the suspension bottoms out.  I had one of those when I first bought
my TR6.  Makes a heck of a bump when you bottom out and metal hits metal!
The good news is they're cheap (only a couple of $$) and easy to put in (just
a bolt with a big rubber head).

>  I was thinking of getting a gas shock conversion kit

I seem to remember something here or in a magazine about conversion
kits.  I want to say there was a mention of two different types of
mounting:  one welded to the frame, the other bolted to the existing
shock mountings.  I may have this confused with something else -- perhaps
someone else has a better memory than me (more than likely!).

Joe
flake@d311510.atl.hp.com