Re: From Critical to Serious

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: From Critical to Serious
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 94 12:29:14 -0800
In message <9401191829.AA11639@hammer.cdc.hp.com> Roland Dudley writes:

> Now it was time for the real test; I put the car in reverse and backed
> into the street for a test drive.  I didn't get 20 feet before the
> familiar sputtering and lurching started again.  By pumping the
> accelerator pedal I was able to keep the engine from stalling and even
> able to clear it up for periods, but it always came back.
>
> Back in the driveway again I let the engine run for a while to see if
> the problem occurred when the engine was not under load.  It did.  I
> wiggling the key in the ignition switch to see if this had any effect.
> It didn't seem to.  The problem did re-occur a couple of times but I
> couldn't associate any particular fiddling with the ignition switch to
> it.
>

> Roland

Take a deep breath, relax.  Get a wire with allagator clips at each end.
connect one end and connect it to the coil. Connnect the other end as close to
the Batt. positive as you can (where you have voltage with the key off. This
bipases your switch & its wiring. Start the snake & go for a test drive. If the
problem is gone, you are probably on the right track going after the switch &
its wiring.  If the trouble is still there its time to change fault paradigms.

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561