current MGB values

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: current MGB values
From: sanders@hydra.unm.edu
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 1994 21:04:23 -0700
Sorry if this was sent twice, my modem dropped as I was sending.

Regarding the value of MGBs...
How do y'all establish the value of your cars for insurance purposes?
Several years ago, when I lived in CA, I had the car appraised by an
"expert". Can't clearly recall the cost - on the order of $50. New Mexico
has fewer people that I would consider as qualified. My insurance co (Farmers)
sent me to a Porsche mechanic, UGH. Thats who they go by, I told him
what I wanted to insure it for, and he signed off. Problem is, no matter
how much in exorbitant rates I pay for the stated value, there is little chance
I'll get satisfaction if the car(s) gets munched. I'd like a more accurate
estimate and pay the rates accordingly.

The body shell thread indicates to me that others are unclear as to what is
happened to prices. I bought the 68 as prices were on the way down (back in
'75), and the 69 when they started back up (1984). Back then, if you mentioned
a $10000 MGB (or $1500 shell) I would have chuckled for an hour. Now.... well
the new motor cost 6x the purchase price for the whole car. Hell, I get
Christmas cards from parts suppliers. Overseas postage on heavy ones. The
new MGB RV8 costs an astonishing amount.

Other than collecting copies of Hemmings ads... any suggestions/experiences?
How did you locate an appraisor who's estimate means something to an insurer?
How much did it cost? etc

John Sanders