Re: Silver Bullet Saga Continued

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Silver Bullet Saga Continued
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 94 08:40:42 -0800
In message <9401111942.AA24013@hammer.cdc.hp.com> Roland Dudley writes:
> Over the weekend I spend more time checking the snake's intermittent
> stumbling problem.

Lots deleted

> wrong I lifted the hood for a look.  Suspicion confirmed; there was
> gasoline all over the top of the engine.  Every depression in the intake
> manifold was filled and the garage floor underneath the car was flowing.
> I quickly pulled the air cleaner off only to discovered that I had
> forgotten to reconnect the inlet line to the carburetor.
>
> Roland

Roland,it seems that your snake has this continual problem heeping its fuel
inside.  If it were a Tiger, I would suggest that you cat box train it, but I'm
not sure how you handle a snake with this problem.

Lets see, its stumbling.  Fuel, ignition, compression.

Fuel -
You rebuilt the carb and did a fuel pump flow test ;*)  Do you have a fuel
filter in line before the carb?  If yes, you might try to replace it & clean any
sediment bowel you might have.  If no, you might check the inlet screen and
float bowel to see if you had a major sedimant flow into the carb left over from
all the work you did earlier.

Assuming you did the carb right, you should check  for intake air leaks.  Also,
I assumed you have this problem with the air cleaner off.

If you have clean lines, good fuel flow, no air leaks, then ether you missed
something during your carb rebuild & adjustment or its not a fuel problem.

Ignition -  Check your point gap.  An almost non-existant gap will cause a car
to stumble all over itself and seem like a fuel problem. While you have the cap
off, check the inside for contact wear and tracking or dirt.  Do the same for
the rotor.  Check the wiring inside the distributor & going to it.  When you
replace the cap make sure the spark plug wires look like they are in good
condition and connections are tight.
Before replacing the cap, pull the end of the distributor vacume line at carb
side and clean it off. Suck on the hose.  You should be able to create a vacume.
If its like sucking through a straw, you have a leak in your hose or distributer
diaphram.  When you draw the vacume, you should be able to see the distributer
plate move.  If not you vacume advance is frozen.  Last check for a strong
spark.  Disconnect the vacume advance line from the carb & plug up the hole
going into the carb. Connect the timing light to your engine and check the
timing at idle.  Adjust as necessary.  Bring the RPMs up a couple thousand of
RPM.  The timing should advance.  If not, your mechanical advance is not working
correctly.

If you have all that, your ignition is probably OK.

Compression:
Do a compression test.  You can check the condition of your plugs at the same
time.  If you have a burnt valve you could have the engine stumbling all over
its self.

If that dosn't find your problem, I'll trade you for the BGT.

Take care & good luck

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561