Re: Parts for Rovers

To: joycee@wv.MENTORG.COM, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Parts for Rovers
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 94 17:06:22 -0800
In message <9401100847.ZM19107@racer> Joyce Eaton writes:
> I'm looking for a good place to buy parts for old Rovers.
> My husband has a 1966 Series IIE Land Rover (not running,
> currently)

Joyce:

There are a number of places to purchase LR parts in the US, only two of which I
would consider.

1. Rovers North.  They will charge you top dollar, but all they seel are factory
genuine Land Rover parts.  Think of them as a Land Rover dealer that dosn't sell
or service Land Rovers.

Rovers North
802-879-0032
They are in Vermont

2. Atlantic British Parts Ltd.  They claim to purchase parts from the same
manufacturers that Rover does (i.e. hydrolic parts from Girling and electrical
parts from Lucas).  Prices are sometimes cheaper than Rovers North & sometimes
quality is not what it should be.

 Atlantic British Parts Ltd.
518-664-6169
They are in New York

Yes there can be buys by going directly to the UK.  Typically parts can be had
for 1/3rd to 1/2 the price in the U.S.  Import is between 3 & 4% of the parts
cost.  Shipping is the killer.  If you purchase one or two parts, the shipping
will bring the cost up to about what it is in the US.  A UK order should be
large enough that you can more than offset shipping costs with savings.

An example:  Last June I purchased the following from Merseyside Land Rover
Parts Ltd in Liverpool:
Underseat petrol tank, rear petrol tank, side to a front wing, 2 new roof vents,
complete factory weatherstripping, petrol sending unit, the hose between the air
cleaner and carb, new front and rear drive shafts.  When all was paid for, it
cost me about the same as purchasing a rear petrol tank and rear drive shaft
here in the U.S.

Here's how to do it:
FAX the company with the list of what you want.  Ask for availability & prices.
Make your order by FAX & give them a credit card # (You can phone them & give
the # over the phone, (they are 8 hours ahead of you) if you are uncomfortable
putting it in a FAX, but the order itself should be FAX). If you pay by credit
card, the credit card company handles the $$ conversion for you.  They get paid
in pounds & you get billed in dollars,  If you send a bank check it needs to be
in pounds.

You can have them ship it to you or sent via FedEx or UPS.  Shipping will save a
significant chunk of $$ over FedEx or UPS but will take longer & require leg
work on your part.  FedEx & UPS is sent priority to your door and will arrive 2
to 3 days after they ship it. They handle customs.  This is a no hassle way.

If it is shipped, you will get a call from a freight forwarder asking you to
drop by with about $40 cash.  You go to their office, pay them & get papers
which you take to the shipper.  You get more papers from them and take them to
Customs.  You pay customs 3.?% of the cost and get a customs clearence.  You
take the papers back to the shipper & they hand you the parts.  You save about
$50 or more by doing it this way.

So, I would say, if you are after one or two things, you are better off going
through Rovers North.  If you are after a bunch of parts, you are better off
going through Merseyside Land Rover services.  Do NOT purchase used parts
through the mail.  too many people have received worn out parts for too much.  I
know someone who did that and got worn out front springs for a little more than
the price of purchasing new ones in the UK.

Hope this gives you a better idea of what to do.

Take care,

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561