Avoiding stuck clutches

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Avoiding stuck clutches
From: hill@ece.ucdavis.edu (Rich Hill)
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 94 13:35:06 -0800
Well, it happened again this weekend - the clutch on my 79 Midget stuck to
the pressure plate (or whatever clutches stick to).  I know how to free
the thing (put in gear, push in clutch pedal, start car, repeat as necessary
until engine turns freely!) but I'd like to know how to avoid this problem
in the first place.  This time the clutch was really stuck and took
quite a while to free - I was beginning to have images of burning starter
motor coils and the like - not a pretty sight.   Anyway, the car sits
outside (no garage here), under a cover.  It has been pretty rainy and
foggy here for weeks so there is plenty of moisture to promote this
annoying behavior.  The only solution that I know of is to drive the car a
bit more often.  That sounds great but sometimes it isn't possible -
any alternatives?

Thanks,

Rich Hill
hill@ece.ucdavis.edu