Re: bright taillights

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com
Subject: Re: bright taillights
From: pwv@tc.fluke.COM (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 94 15:29:28 PST
> Isn't the power rating (wattage) of a light (whether incandescent,
> fluorescent, halogen, or whatever) the power it consumes?  So a 40w
> fluorescent light is brighter than a 40w incandescent bulb because it
> converts more of its input electrical energy to light energy, even
> though they both consume power at the same rate.  i.e., less electrical
> energy is converted to heat energy by the fluorescent lamp.  Or maybe
> I'm missing something.

You are correct in your reasoning.  The reason this holds is because only an
infinitesimal amount of the electrical energy is converted to light, even
for a flourescent lamp.  So a 40W incandescent will produce essentially the
same amount of heat as a 40W flourescent/halogen/mercury vapor/space heater/
power resistor.

Gee.  Can we talk about something else now, like commercial garage companies
advertising on the list??  (JUST KIDDING!!)

   Pat Vilbrandt      Fluke Corporation      Everett, Washington USA
   pwv@tc.fluke.COM or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv