Re: Stupid Starting Tricks

To: twakeman@apple.com
Subject: Re: Stupid Starting Tricks
From: sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 94 13:10:56 PST
>Your battery connections are clean and shiney right? This includes the gnd wire
> attachment to the body.

Yup.  The ground is new when I converted to 12V.  The rest --well, make
that "the other" now -- is clean.

> Here's one to try at night with the garage lights off. Turn on the headlights
> and try to turn the starter motor.  If the head lights dim big time,

They don't.

> If the headlamps do not dim big time, you are not getting electricity to the
> motor windings, or at least not enough.

Aha!  I'll check that connection (see DQ#2).

> Dumb question #1
>
> You did remember to replace the braided ground wire between the engine and the
> chassis, right? and you know that you had good electrical connections at both
> sides of the ground wire.

Yes, that's in solid.  Dumb question #1A -- on the 18G engine I took
out, the ground connected on the carb side of the block (actually to the
front plate of the engine and the engine mount).  On the 18V engine I
put in, the ground connected on the plug side of the block (same
actually).  Now I can't think of any reason why it would NOT work if
the ground was moved from one side of a big piece of conductive metal
to the other side... can anyone?

> Dumb question #2
>
> You mentioned all those lovely wires on one post of the solenoid. You checked
> the wire going between the other side and the starter motor?

That's what I now suspect.  It's not really a wire -- it's a metal strap
that is bolted to the other post at one end, and disappears into the middle
of the starter motor at the other.  I'm going to give a good tightening to
the post just for yuks.

--Scott