Ramblings, various subjects

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Ramblings, various subjects
From: Joe Flake <flake@d311510.atl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 94 10:45:38 EST
Hi all.  Happy New Year!  Forgive my ramblings.  I've kept fairly
current with my reading, but haven't taken time to do any mailings.

1) neat road
   We took vacation in Hawaii (Maui) last month.  Two roads made me wish for
   an LBC to blaze around in.  The "road to Hana" was lots of fun, even in
   the rental -- about 30 miles of the twistiest little road I've ever
   been on.  The other was the road to/from the top of the crater.  Claimed
   to be the steepest in the world (10K ft elevation in 40 miles!).  We did
   the tourist bit and rode bicycles down (a 38 mile route, with only 700
   yards of uphill).  Again a route which would be great fun in an LBC.
   Spotted several Brit cars aound on the streets there (a nice MGA, several
   MGBs, and two TR6s) -- I'm sure the owners make the most of them, and
   they certainly stand out.

2) TR6 fan update
   After vacation, I returned to finish putting the pieces back together
   with the replacement fan.  All's well again.  I flushed and reflushed
   the radiator and filled it with fresh green stuff to fight the cold
   and corrosion.  (I realized later that there's supposed to be a second
   drain tap on the block -- my flushing process would have been much
   more effective).

3) Santa's sleigh...
   Our neighborhood had a visit from Santa the weekend before Christmas.
   He stopped in for a few hours of photos and chatting with kids in
   one of the neighbor's basement.  I had the fun of chauffering him
   around the neighborhood, top-down in my red TR6.  Great fun!  Wish
   we'd gotten a photo.

4) Novice TR6 questions
   JBZimmerman asked about the dash lights and dimmer on his "new" TR6.
   You were on the right track with the big knob in the center of the
   gauge panel.  It is a dimmer.  I suspect someone bypassed it in
   previous lifetimes.  It's listed in the various supplier catalogs,
   but rather expensive (about $65 if I remember).  Actually, bypassing
   the dimmer might not be a bad idea.  My '72 dash lights range from
   damned dim to dark!  I think the dimmer runs through its range
   properly (with a few dark glitches) but even at brightest, the gauges
   are very hard to see at night.
   For references, folks suggested the Bentleys and Haynes manuals.  Both
   are good, but the Haynes is now out of print.  If you find one, buy it.

5) Commercial traffic
   Thank goodness that flurry died.  I've enjoyed TRF's presence here
   and consider that very positive.

6) Newsgroup
   This flurry will die soon too.  My preference is to remain as a mail
   list.  (BTW, did I dream it or did someone post a sample script/filter
   to use with elm?  I can't find it in what I've saved.  I'd appreciate
   receiving another copy from that original poster.)

As others have said "back to Lurk mode..."

Cheers,
Joe Flake
flake@d311510.atl.hp.com