Dum Dum De Dum ...

To: b-c@tin.monsanto.com
Subject: Dum Dum De Dum ...
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 93 08:56:30 -0600
The verdict is in. Compression on cylinder #6 on my GT6 is 0. Engine is
broke.

I'm taking the day off tomorrow to pull the head. Since I'm driving to KC
early Saturday, I have the opportunity to stop by VB and purchase any parts
I need. Some folks have told me that if I freshen up the head, I should
also do the rings, but the prospect of pulling the engine does not appeal
to me at this time. This is all speculation, since I don't know what my
problem is anyway. If it's a ring or piston, then I'll have to pull the
engine anyway. If it's a valve, I have the option of redoing the head and
putting it back on.

Now, I've replaced LOTS of stuff on this car, but I've never done that
kind of engine work. When I pull the head, exactly what am I looking for?
I presume if one valve looks obviously different from the others, something
is wrong with it...

Also, at this time I think I'm going to go ahead and put in hardened seats
and guides.

How much should a machine shop charge to do a head? When I take the head in,
what do I leave on it? Do I leave the valves and springs on it? I assume
I leave the rocker assembly at home.

Do I sound enough like a neophyte? I feel kind of stupid about this, and can
use all the advice anyone wants to give!

Thanks,

Larry