Oxygenated gas

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Oxygenated gas
From: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 93 14:19:18 EST
|Date: 11-30-93  2:16pm
|From: Dean Zywicki:dcrt:nih
|  To: {british-cars@autox.team.net}:BITNET
|Subj: Oxygenated gas
   My midget started idling real rough a few weeks ago.  After a
conversation with my dad and that his cars (all carburetted) were doing
the same thing I started thinking.  He blamed it on the oxygenated gas
that started November 1st.  I had been checking the plugs on my midget
and I noticed that they were real white (indicating a lean mixture).  I
also noticed that the gas mileage in my Alfa (fuel injection) was real
bad.
   So my theory is that with the oxygenated gas, the added oxygen
displaces a certain amount of volume in the gas.  So for the same volume
of gas, you get less combustibles.  For fuel injection this would mean,
put more gas in the system, thus reduced mileage.  With a carburetter,
which basically runs on volume of gas, it isn't getting the right amount
of combustibles per volume, thus a lean mixture.
   Does this sound right ?  It seems to make sense.  I haven't
enrichened the mixture on my midget yet, but I will as soon as I buy a
ZS carb tool.

  Later,
     Dean