BGT head gasket

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: BGT head gasket
From: Jon Mason Gougar Jr <gougar@csd4.csd.uwm.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1993 13:49:19 -0600 (CST)
   Since I am a college student, I will have about three weeks of Christmas
break to spend elbow deep in my MG. I am planning to replace the seeping
head gasket, and I have some questions.
   First of all, I am wondering which, and what type of head gasket to
purchase. I've been told that a copper head gasket would be the hot ticket.
Is this the case? I need something that I can count on. Also, is there
any way to tell by way of visual inspection if the valve seats are hardened
or if the valves are stellite? My engine was overhauled in Great Britain
about 20k miles ago, but I have no way of knowing what exactly was done to
the engine when it was apart. Would it be worth my while to install hardened
valve seats and stellite valves while the head is off? I can have the work
done quite inexpensively, since I work with a guy who has access to an
engine builder's shop.
  Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

                                          Jon Gougar, Jr.