1500 Midget clutch release pivot

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: 1500 Midget clutch release pivot
From: hill@ece.ucdavis.edu (Rich Hill)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 93 09:01:42 -0800
I'm about to replace the clutch release pivot pin on my 79 Midget (it dropped
onto the road and went "jingle, jingle" off into who-knows-where.....again).
Anyway, due to the strange, Triumph design of this thing there is nothing
stopping the pin from dropping out again except for a little friction which,
from past experience, doesn't seem to be enough.  I'm going to replace it with
a bolt and a nyloc nut but I haven't decided what grade to use.  I don't
want the thing to bend (I might need to get it out -intentionally- some day)
but I also dont want it to shear (a potential problem with hardened bolts?).
Anybody got a recommendation for grade 5 or 8?  Anybody got any advice at all?

Thanks,

Rich Hill
hill@ece.ucdavis.edu