Re: Who needs oil pressure ?

To: lupienj@wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Subject: Re: Who needs oil pressure ?
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1993 10:16:39 -0600 (CST)
John Lupien writes >

> > The Hirth roller bearing crank is another way to achieve high BMEP
> > and RPM levels, but at a very high cost.
>
> Yet another method, used for very high RPM and specific output, is
> the crank-pumped, premix or oil-injected two-stroke mechanism, which
> it might be argued is also a low-pressure or no-pressure oiling system.

> The highly mobile gasoline serves to wash the oil into the crevices and
> journals quite effectively, with the disadvantage of having to deal with
> oil smoke emissions somehow (like, uh, venting it to the atmosphere...).

I used to ice race a SAAB 96 with a two-stroke.  Two of them, actually.  I
got a 1963 850GT after pounding the 1961 850 into a large lump of wrinkled
steel.  (LBC content:  It was getting hit by a Mini that started the chain
of events leading to multiple flips.)

Anyway, the crank ran on double ball bearings.  Do all two-strokes have
ball/roller bearing cranks?

The 4-stroke Honda 600 roadster had roller bearings on crank and cams.
Had a factory redline of 10,000 RPM.  BMC was afraid of it until they
found out that it did not handle as well as a Spridget.  Anyway, I asked
a seller why it had no oil-pressure gauge.  He said, "What does it need an
oil-pressure gauge for?  It has no oil pressure."

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans St, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 266-6244    phile@stpaul.gov
"Some of them own little sports cars" -Jethro Tull