Re: Lineage of MG's B engine

To: bishel@lobby.ti.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lineage of MG's B engine
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 12:46:31 -0800
In message <199311091717.AA17500@lobby.ti.com> Geoff Bishel writes:

> Scott Fisher says(Scott
> Fisher writes that the Chevy inline 6 was a precursor to MG's B engine)
> Is this true? (Am I showing my ignorance publicly by questioning Scott?)
> I've always heard (okay I've heard it twice ... but from different people)
> that the B engine was a descendant of a Ford Tractor engine, and that parts
> could actually be bought thru a Ford tractor dealer.
>
> I've never owned a B powered car, and I've never actually gone out to verify
> this story on my own, so please set me straight.
>
> Hmmm, Chevy inline 6 to MG B engine, Buick V8 to Rover V8... Let's hope
> BL gets dibs on the Corvette ZR1 engine or Cadillac Northstar V8...
>
> Geoff "How wide is a Midget's engine compartment?" Bishel

Geoff,

Questioning Scott is half the fun!
Anyway.  The Triumph 4 cyl engine as was used in the TR2-4A and Morgans traces
its ancestory back through the Ferguson tractor engine.  There was a recent
artical in a news letter I read providing Ferguson part numbers to rebuild
Triumph water pumps.

The Ford 8N and 9N tractors that were produced up through (if I remember
correctly) 1954 had flat head engines.  The first Ford tractor overhead engine
came on the Golden Jubalee, or NAA of 1955.  This was indeed a 4 cylinder of
about 130something cubic inches.  This engine continued well into the sixties in
two sizes.  The smaller size has a 6 prefix.  The larger displacement had an 8
prefix. It was phased out to be replaced by a disel.

Sorry to disapoint you but I believe the engine has 4 intake and 4 exhaust
ports.  The oil filter is a spin on type (The tractor division was progressive)
thats on the oposit side for the filter on the MGB.

While on the subject, my Ford 631 tractor  is still for sale.  3 point hitch,
front loader, power steering, four speed manual, 7 foot scrapper blade, post
hole digger, single point plow, two stage rear fork lift attachment.  US$4K
takes all.  I have a 8" by about 20" 4 wheel hay trailer (think big wagon) for
sale $400.  I promise to spend most if not all the $$$ on getting my cars in
better condition and getting my own car trailer. Will consider trade for very
good condition TR4 or 2 seat big Healey.

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561