TR6

To: ewcorco@erenj.com
Subject: TR6
From: paisley@central.bldrdoc.gov (Scott W. Paisley 303-497-7691)
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 93 12:24:44 MST
Welcome Ned!

Ned wrote:

 >              1)  Is an external oil feed kit and/or an external oil cooler a
 >good
 > idea?  I've heard that these cars suffer from poor oiling.  I don't intend
 > to run it hard but would like to preserve the engine as much as possible.

I havent heard of the TR6 having a problem of oiling.  However, the
earlier sixs (pre 1974) have oil pumps which have less flow than the
1974 and later models.  If you have >50lbs of oil pressure after 30
minutes of driving at highway speeds, and >20lbs of pressure at idle
then you probably don't have a problem that need immediate attention.
70lbs at speed and 40lbs at idle would be ideal.  Unless you live in a
hot climate, I don't think that the TR6 needs an oil cooler.  But it
really depends on how hard you drive the car.  One thing I would add,
is a spin on oil adaptor.

 >              2)  The small, red "IGN" light in the lower part of the tach
 >stays on
 > whenever any of the lights are on - any ideas where to start to fix this
 > indicator?

No.  :-)  Is you alternator putting  out good current?  Check the wiring.

 >              3)  The radio and speaker covers are after market; is there any
 > info/source for the original or rebuilds?

A good source for many parts is The Roadster Factory.  Ask them to
send you a catalog.  1-800-678-8764 is their number.  There are other
places as well, but I don't have their numbers handy...

 >              4)  The carbs (dual Strombergs)......help!

I don't think I can help here.  I rebuilt mine, and I'm trying to find
someone who can tune the correctly.  :-)

 >      I'm also a bit limited compared to what I see with the rest of the group
 > in that I don't have an infinite supply of $$$, a tremendous amount of
 > mechanical knowledge or ability, and access to a complete automotive shop.

Uh, I think you're right among the most of us!

-Scotty

1975 TR6, which just got a nice treat of Colorado snow.  Film at 11:00.