Re: Blowing Spitfire exhaust manifolds (Simon Waddington)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Blowing Spitfire exhaust manifolds (Simon Waddington)
From: palmerr@ecn.purdue.edu (Robert G Palmer)
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1993 10:14:17 -0500 (EST)
Simon writes:

> Does any one have experience of Spitfire head exhaust manifold gaskets
> blowing?  I bought a 1500 in July and the gasket was blowing then.
> After replacing it it went after six weeks, the one after that has
> just started blowing again!
>
> I've heard rumours that this is a design fault in the exhaust top pipe.
> Does anyone
> know a) if this is true, b) if so what can I do, c) if not what
> else might be wrong.

I've had a Spit 1500 for about 6 years now.  I have pulled the intake/
exhaust manifold twice without replacing the manifold gasket (really a
no-no, but on a students budget what can you do?)  I've never had it
blow.  It has LEAKED a few times -- the problem has always been that
the manifold bolts were loose (not enough to tell without a torque wrench).
I just re-torqued them and the problem disappeared.

Hope this helps.

--
Robert Palmer, Jr.                                  Purdue University
palmerr@ecn.purdue.edu                              317-494-3750