license plates, favorite Austin-Healeys, and me

To: british-cars@triumph
Subject: license plates, favorite Austin-Healeys, and me
From: Norm deCarteret 813-878-3994 (TL 438) <normdec@vnet.IBM.COM>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 93 05:52:36 EDT
Many thanks to Roland for the summary on restoring license plates.
Being a Florida resident, and Florida allowing classic car collectors to
register antique original plates to their 20+ year-old car, be forewarned:
the operative word is ORIGINAL.  You have to send your plate to Tallahassee
for certification and don't bother trying to slip by adulterated plates.

Peter Schauss asks about Austin-Healeys - which are best?  That of course
depends on what you favor.  I love the 100-4 as the purest expression of
Donald Healey - the fold-down windscreen being the ultimate sportscar schtick.
You also get the smaller engine, no wind-up windows, no back "seat", etc.
For my 3000s, I found parts readily available and moderate-to-expensive
depending on which part and which vendor.  The more you can afford to look,
the more you can save.

Since this is my 1st post to the list, by way of introduction my britcar is
a '69 E-Type roadster, primrose, VG original, 74K miles.  Mine for 10 years.
It's been almost an absolutely reliable car, except for tendencies to overheat
if abused in Florida heat, and the one requisite electrical short-circuit
($900 for a burnout back from a shorted Lucas oil-pressure gauge, but the
car didn't go poof at least).  I collect cars, and my urban roadster is a
Datsun 260Z conversion with a TR-7 top frame and some other custom touches.
Norm    nsdec@vnet.ibm.com