Re: lube for rubber bushings?

To: cak@parc.xerox.com (Chris Kent Kantarjiev)
Subject: Re: lube for rubber bushings?
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1993 16:11:37 -0500 (CDT)
> Mine's in a tube, so the surface is mostly protected;

This would be a little handier.

> I haven't noticed much in the way of contaminants so far.

What kind of vacuums are you pulling?  Are you using an ion pump or just
the oil-diffusion pump?   What is your bakeout cycle?  What?  You are
using it on a CAR?  OH!  That's very different.  Never mind.   :-)

Seriously, what I meant was that the stuff was too contaminated for our
use in making electron-beam laser tubes.  So it was throw it out or use it
for other stuff.  We didn't have other stuff to use it for, so we took
turns "liberating" it.  Didn't cost the company any more either way.

> It's certainly much more pleasant to work with than Aqua-Lube. I should
> grab another tube for the toolbox. If you can't find any, I can
> probably be convinced to send you a tube or two.

Thanks, but there is no real rush.  I haven't really looked hard for it in
the Twin Towns.  I bet I can get it here.  I don't know anybody in Central
Research anymore, and the silicon-chip revolution put paid to the
electron-beam laser project years ago.  It's all in our notebooks in the
3M vaults now.  The hardware is all gone.  That's the research game.  I
built 150 lasers for nothing. Coulda gone the other way.  The PhD's may
have learned something that they used later.

phile@stpaulgov