Bulk digests; bulk response

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Bulk digests; bulk response
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 93 23:34:51 EDT
Geeez, three digests in one day. And, wonders, I acutally have time to
add a few comments. :>

Dean: Sounds like you broke up the thrust washer between second and third
      driven gears, and possibly the bushings under the gears, too. This
      would exactly explain your third gear problem. The driven gear can
      walk around on the mainshaft, dragging the shift hub, fork, and thereby
      lever with it when engaged. The helical cut of the gears would make
      it walk to one end when under power, and to the other end when torque
      is reversed. No guesses on second gear.

????  There are two common causes of MGB's doinga tail wiggle on changes
      in power. You already have the first; loose U bolts. The rubber pads
      sandwiching the spring shrink over time. The thrust vector caused by
      the driveshaft cocks the rear end one way under power, and the other
      on overrun. Soak the nuts and Ubolts in penetrating oil for a few days,
      then tighten.
       The other common problem is a broken main leaf in the spring. They
      break right at the leading edge of the axle mounting sandwich. This
      causes that side of the axle to slide back up to an inch on overrun
      and braking. *Very* noticable attitude change in the car when this
      happens.

Dean: I don't know for sure, but I seriously doubt that the overdrive box
      will fit without serious tunnel mods. The rod change (1500) od box
      has the shifter mounted higher to clear the od unit. The od is about
      six or seven inches in diameter. This will end up in the car right at
      the leading edge of the seats. Take a look at the car and  guess if
      you have the horizontal room, and if the shift can be raised an inch.

Arthur: It sounds like you had a marginal clutch release with the old unit.,
       (releasing 1" from floor). The addition of a full thickness disc
       moved the start and release point farther foward, just out of reach.
       Possible causes include worn release "bearing", bad/worn pressure
       plate, bent release fork, worn fork pivot bushing/bolt, and worn
       crankshaft thrust bearings.
        One of my B's had this problem, but not to this extent. On that car,
       it was caused by me skimming .150 off of the flywheel face to lighten
       it. *That* was a good running B. :>

Chris:  The BMC 1275 engine technicly takes NGK BP6ES plugs, but I prefer the
        BP6EY plugs. The V-groove plugs will take a wider gap without missing.

Dean:   Yep, the early Midget/Spit slave will fit, with it's holder.

Kenneth: Yes, there were fuel injected TR7's. However, I personally have only
        seen one, and it was a Canadian import. It's a standard Bosch L-Jet
        system, as used on the TR8 (and Mrcedes, BMW, Volvo, Fiat, Jaguar...)
        I have no idea on parts availability.

That's it for this mass-blast. Hopefully the digest will stablize now that
Mark is back, and I can go back to single email responses.

   Randy
    randy@taylor.wyvern.com