midget bearings

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: midget bearings
From: DODD@ELMO.EL.WPAFB.AF.MIL
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1993 14:25:40 -0400 (EDT)
 A couple of weeks ago, I was a good wire wheel owner and took all of my
 wheels off, cleaned and greased the splines, and tighten them up good.  In
 doing so, I noticed that one of my rear tires and some kind of wet sheen to
 them.  I popped the brake drum cover off think I had lost a rear cylinder.  I
 had not.  This is good as I would hope those last more than a year.  Since I
 could not discover the source, I hoped against hope that it would go away.
 Two days later, I discovered three little puddles off the rear fender.  IN
 conclusion, I have a blown rear oil seal.  As I imagine that it is just a
 mater of time until the other side goes, I will be replacing both sides at
 the same time.  My question is, how bad is this project?  The kit comes with
 new bearings and new seals.  Are there any pointers that I need to be aware
 of?  Any estimates as to how long this should take?  Any special tools, or
 can I get by with my BIG hammer :-)

 Thanks-
 MAD