Shoot it?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Shoot it?
From: Ingo Dean <Ingo_Dean@Warren.MentorG.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1993 21:02:41 -0400
I recently bought an '80 TR7.  Everything seemed great for a while.  A
few minor problems, mind you, but nothing I couldn't handle.  (Yes, I
pulled the entire dash out, rewired almost _everything_, but got it
done!  What kind of offerings should I give the Prince of Darkness?)

Today I ran into two things:

1.)  After driving for about 45 minutes, I parked it.  Five minutes
     later I tried to start it.  It wouldn't turn over.  (It did
     "click", however).  Popped the hood.  Checked all the
     connections.  Everything looked fine.  Tried it again, and it
     turned over and started fine.  Battery?  Starter?  Something to
     do with the heat?

2.)  About 10 minutes later, I finally got it up fast enough to go to
     5th gear.  No dice.  It just wouldn't go in.  All I got was that
     nasty grinding sound.  I pulled over and went through all the
     gears with the engine off, but still couldn't get it into 5th.
     Should I shoot it?  I'm not enough of a mechanic to tackle a
     transmission.  What's it take to debug this one?  How about to
     fix it?

Thanks for your comments in advance,
Ingo (now driving a four speed against my will) Dean