Wheel Bearings and Radius arm bushes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Car List)
Subject: Wheel Bearings and Radius arm bushes
From: gavin@csis.dit.csiro.au
Date: Tue, 18 May 93 13:34:14 EST
Hello SOLers
  My SD1 (I'll have to think up a good name for it) has been pretty lazy.
It's only done 1500km since I bought it two months ago (on top of the 240k).
That may have something to with the way I drive it, once a week or long trips,
and the three weeks it spent with its wheels in the air.

Will this sort of treatment shorten it's lifespan?

Anyway this lack of driving (and they way I nurse it around town and cruise on
the highway) means all its inevitable fault take a while to turn up.  Last
week I floored it to turn right across the street and was greeted with this
solid CLUNK a metre after take off and then smooth accelerations.  Not having
a clue what could cause it I took it too a suspension place this morning.

Half an hour later they couldn't find the problem and asked me to come back
in an hour and a half.  Two hours later we find there is two problems.  The
inner front left wheel bearing is shot.  They advise replacing all of them.

The other problem, the one causing the CLUNK, was attributed to shot radius
arm mounting bushes.  This cause the whole rear end to rock forward or back
on sudden acceleration or decceleration.  The quote is coming.

I'd like to do these jobs myself if I can.  Can anyone help me out on how easy
these are?  Also are the worn bushes a likely cause of the clunk?  Could
this be the cause of my abnormal tyre wear on the rear (outer edges are wearing
faster)?

Any help appreciated.

For those who are interested in the rust update.  The seats and carpet come
out this weekend to get the full extent of the damage.

--
  _--_|\             -|-    Gavin Walker