Re: Foamy oil

To: hertzber@spot.Colorado.EDU
Subject: Re: Foamy oil
From: whs70@cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 5 May 1993 9:31 EDT
>From spot.Colorado.EDU!hertzber Tue May  4 17:32:04 1993
>
>As I recall from a blown head gasket on a GAC (Giant American Car) some years
>back that water in the oil makes a nice froth. Turned the oil into a creamy
>light brown mixture, like Guiness head, that was visible at the oil filler
>cap.
>-Jean H

Having just had the unpleasent experiance of a cracked head on
our Isuzu Trooper in January, I can safely say that water in the
oil results in a grey appearance.  If allowed to sit, the water
will settle out and the oil will look black.  We discovered the problem
as I had to keep adding coolant, yet there was no leaking of
coolant on to the ground, etc.

Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!cc!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@cc.bellcore.com

From  rwg1@postoffice.mail.cornell.edu Tue Sep 11 11:32:59 2001