rusty suspension components - what to do?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: rusty suspension components - what to do?
From: "Eric Olson" <ERIC@chip.cba.ufl.edu>
Date: 17 Dec 92 11:29:25 EST
I've got an '80 Spitfire.  Other problems on the car have kept me
busy until recently, so I hadn't really paid much attention to the
suspension.  The springs, sway bar. etc. etc. etc. are ALL rusty.
In fact, the left mounting bracket for the front sway bar BROKE,
leaving the sway bar dangling in the breeze.  Aaaaack!

So, what shall I do?  I've seen many posts warning of "hydrogen
embrittlement", so I guess I can't use chemical methods.  How about
sand blasting them?  What should I use to paint these parts
afterwards?  I presume that since I'll have to disassemble
everything that this is a good time for new bushings...

Thanks in advance for your comments,
Eric

Eric Olson                                      eric@chip.cba.ufl.edu
Dir. Instructional & Research Computing      eeco@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu
UF College of Business Admin                      (904) 392-6869x1267