Re: Hydraulic Saga Continues

To: stecz@pencom.com
Subject: Re: Hydraulic Saga Continues
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 92 13:46:36 CST
John Steczkowski asks >

>what is it other than a special cap for your master cylinder?

You get a bottle for brake fluid, a tube with a fitting that fits a tire valve
(this hose pressurizes the E-Z-Bleed bottle), a tube to attach to a drilled
reservoir cap, and a whole flock of different caps.  They also give you two
 different sizes of clear tubing put on the bleed screw so you can watch for
bubbles as you bleed the fluid into a cup.

>It appears to me, that I can get an extra master cylinder cap, drill a hole

This is what you do if the E-Z-Bleed kit does not have a cap your size.  The
tube attaches to the cap with a though-bulkhead-type fitting with a nut and
seals. All you need is a 3/8(?) hole with a little flat area around it.  I did
this for a Mazda 626.

>screw in tire valve, get a clamp on chuck for my compressor (which I
>can regulate down to under 20psi) and then loosen each brake bleeder
>to bleed.

Be careful with that pressure.  Keep it really low, less than 10 psi.  Your
reservoir and cap are not designed for pressure.  I find a spare tire knocked
down to 10 psi works fine.

>The EZ-bleed, doesn't add extra fluid to the master cylinder,

Yes, it does.  That is what the bottle is for.  Since you have the extra volume
of fluid in the bottle, it is easy to replace all the fluid in the car.  When
you are done bleeding, take the hose off the spare tire to depressurize the
system.  Remove the reservoir cap, and you will see the fluid level is up so
you don't have to add any by hand.

I was told once that Foreign Parts Unlimited had the best price, but I can't
swear to it personally.  I got mine from Moss through Quality Coaches in
Minneapolis.  10% discount, no shipping charges.  You may have a Britcar place
in Austin that will do that for you.

------------------------------------
Foreign Parts Unlimited
352 Washington Street
Somerville, MA   O2143
(800) 255-5883

Big on MGB parts and has the E Z Bleed the cheapest, I am told.  - Phil Ethier

Disclaimer:  I don't get any money from Gunson for pushing this product,
I just *like* the damned thing.  Not only did it give me better brakes on the
Midget, it was like playing with a Mr. Wizard experiment.  What's that?
I'm showing my age?  OK, a *Beekman* experiment, then.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
"The workingman's GT-40" - Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman