MGB Diff Plug, Cylinder Head, LBCs on TV

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Diff Plug, Cylinder Head, LBCs on TV
From: kmwheeler@ualr.edu
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1992 17:17:53 EST
 I finally got my MGB's diff filler out.  I tried making a
 tool by cutting the threads of off a bolt, then grinding the
 shank to fit, but this tool would ride out of the plug.
 I ordered a punch and chisel set recently--here was a tool
 I could use:  I took a chisel that fit in the diagonal of
 the plug, and a ratchet with a 12mm deep well socket that
 fit the shank of the chisel rather well, and after some
 massive torque,the plug came loose.  The diff was a little
 low.  I went ahead and drained it and put fresh oil in.  The
 drained oil looked old, but clean.
 (wrote this a couple of days ago)

 Right now my street car ('76 MGB) is sitting in the driveway
 sans cylinder head.  The head gasket had started to leak around
 bore #3, and was weeping coolant down the starboard side of the
 block.  #3 was also blowing coolant out around the sparking plug.
 Looks okay though.  Seems to be just a gasket leak.  I guess I'm
 going to miss FORTRAN class tomorrow.  Any advice on cleaning
 cylinder bores?  I usually use a strong vacuum cleaner when I
 have to remove a head, to pick up those little pieces of carbon
 that inevitably end up in the bores.

 On the recent thread on LBCs on TV:  Did anybody ever mention
 the Avengers?  Mr. Steed female companions drove whatever it is
 you call more than one Lotus (Loti?).  Also, the other day I
 watched The Fugitive on Arts & Entertainment.  The fugitive returned
 home.  His brother (not a happy fellow) was racing his old 356
 bathtub.  This episode has some great scenes of races with (mostly)
 MGB's and a Spitfire or two.  Also--what about The Man From UNCLE?
 They always had an LBC or two per episode.  I've got one taped that
 has (I believe) a 289 Cobra, race prepped, complete with a dent in the
 right rear fender, and a Jag XKE.  And, one more, I recall a Batman
 episode where Batman went to *the* local hangout and parked the
 Batmobile next to an MGA.

 Oh well, back to the real world.  I've got to get my cylinder out
 of the driveway and find a place to store it overnight.

Keith