1969 Jaguar XKE Advertisement

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: 1969 Jaguar XKE Advertisement
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1992 19:06:54 CST
You should recall that recently there was some discussion over whether
Jaguar (JAG-war) referred to their sports car as the XKE or the E-type
in the U.S. The answer appears to be XKE, to judge from the ad I have
in front of me.

At a recent garage sale I picked up a near-mint copy of the Official
Auto Show Annual for the 1969 Chicago Auto Show, held at the International
Amphitheatre on March 8-16, 1969. It's 136 big glossy pages, neatly laid
out with at least one full-page ad for every model and manufacturer, with
the facing pages listing specifications for the advertised model. Not only
are all the usual suspects featured (Austin, MG, Jaguar, Triumph, Rover,
etc.) but also some real oddballs: Simca, NSU, Ford Cortina... (no offense
intended for our Cortina readers... :-)

Okay, the Jaguar ad: Page 90 shows a nice full-page 3/4 right-side shot of
a 1969 XKE 2+2. Copy as follows, exactly as it appears just below the car:
(in huge type:)

                                    XKE
                                   sedan

(fine print:)

        The Jaguar XKE 2Plus2 is longer and roomier than our popular two-place
        coupe. Even has a fully-upholstered rear seat for the kids. The car
        sells for $5907. [sigh... -- ACG] Power steering, automatic trans-
        mission, air conditioning and chrome turbo-disc wheels are optional.
        An XKE sedan? That's about the size of it.
                                                                 British
                                                                    _
                                                        Jaguar     (L)
                                                                    -
                                                                 Leyland

        Price P.O.E. East Coast; slightly higher Gulf and West ports.

Opposite the ad are the Technical Specifications for the Jaguar XJ Luxury
Sedan, XKE Roadster Series 2 (convertible), XKE Coupe Series 2 and XKE
Coupe 2+2 Series 2. Interesting that the glossy ad spells the latter as
"2Plus2".  The specs are staggeringly thorough, though printed in roughly
3-point type that will make you blind trying to read it. Each model is
shown in a nice line-drawing profile.

Tell Ya What I'm Gonna Do... faxing this stuff is impossible; you would
receive nothing but smears. However, if you're interested in a particular
1969 model of car (even a Honda 600 -- you should SEE what that's like),
Email me a mailing address, and if I can find a listing for it, I'll mail
a nice photocopy of the material to you.

                                        Cheers,
                                                Andy

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473