Re: 'B rack oil fill (was: Diff. filling on '80 MGB)

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: 'B rack oil fill (was: Diff. filling on '80 MGB)
From: neilson@mprgate.mpr.ca (Robert Neilson)
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 92 13:33:30 PST
>> From: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
>>
>> 2)  How do I get 90W oil into the steering rack through a grease nipple?

> Roland said:
>
> My Cobra has essentially the same rack and pinion steering as your 'B so
> I presume the procedure is similar.  My manual sez to loosen a gaiter
> clamp and to squirt the oil in under the loosened rubber.  My manual
> also states that the grease nipple on the rack itself is for the purpose
> of greasing (very sparingly) the pinion gear bearing.

I remember seeing (or hearing about) a tool that was supposedly hard to find,
and was used to pump oil through a grease nipple. In fact I think a guy was
telling me how he found it at a swap meet and how I needed one ...

At the time I was thinking "oh - so that's how you do it" (my "A" has a
similiar rack, and I had just finished rebuilding it. I lubed it lightly with
grease when I reassembled  it, but I keep thinking I should have just pumped
it full of grease and left it at that. I really can't see any reason why you
would need oil over grease, as long as your careful to grease the ball type
connector pieces that screw into the ends of the rack. There really isn't much
movement in the rack.

Nonetheless, my plan on getting oil in was to remove the grease nipple and
inject the oil through the hole. But I think the gaiter trick sounds better.

How do you know how much oil to add anyway ... (when it starts leaking out it's
full?!).

Rob