Re: Jagwar or Jag-you-are.

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>, berry@pei.com
Subject: Re: Jagwar or Jag-you-are.
From: lupienj@wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 92 09:09:13 EST
Roland sez:
> And isn't garage of French origin.  I believe the British
> pronunciation is closer to the French.  Probably for the same reason:
> proximity; not to mention the influence of the French language on
> English.

While you may be right about the Spanish origin of the spelling of Jaguar,
and about the French origin of "garage", the French pronunciation is quite
a bit closer to the US "garaahge than to the British "garridge". Neither,
of course, uses the proper French "r" sound, which most civilized countries
lack in their sonoraries.

--
---
John R. Lupien