Re: BackLash

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: BackLash
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 92 12:06:49 -0700
Mark DeHaas says about a noisy foruth gear in his TR6:

   I think the problem is excessive backlash in that particular gear.

This might not be the case.  Fourth gear in the TR boxes is direct,
with the selector dog coupling the input shaft to the output shaft.
There are no gears involved.  The noise is more likely from the laygear
bearings or the input (constant motion) shaft bearing.  In the lower gears,
power is getting transmitted through the laygear cluster, so it is held
against one side or the other of the shaft, holding things in place and
keeping it quiet, for now.  In fourth gear the laygear cluster is just
along for the ride, bouncing along on the shaft.

Offhand the only thing I can suggest is rebuilding the gearbox.

mjb.