Re: Electric Aerial/Antenna on XJ6

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electric Aerial/Antenna on XJ6
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1992 12:19:26 CST
Scott (scott@psy.uwa.edu.au) writes:
> I have a feeling that the "cable-spool" has slipped and is shutting off the
> motor too early (thus leaving about 2 inches of aerial sticking up).

This may come a bit late to be of use as it sounds like you've already
dismantled it, but I think all you need is some cleaning and lubrication
of the telescoping antenna segments. I have to do this on my father's
car about once a year. Just extend the antenna all the way, wipe it clean
with a soft cloth, apply a light oil to it and operate it down and up a
few times.

Dirt buildup causes excessive drag on the telescoping segments, fooling
the slip clutch into thinking that the antenna is already retracted all
the way. After a quick cleaning and lube, it should get itself sorted out.

-- Andy