BGT Special Edition

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: BGT Special Edition
From: Kendall Robinson <kendallr@smtplink.chey.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 92 08:02:41 EST
          I went to look at a BGT advertised as a "Special" last
          night.  A friend of mine, who worked for a BMC dealer in the
          early/mid 60s, told me the Special Edition kit came in a
          little box and included two plaques for the front fenders
          and a wood rimmed steering wheel.  He also told me that the
          American dealers installed these kits (he turned his own
          brand new 67 BGT into a Special by installing a kit).

          Does anyone have some more insight into the "Special" BGTs?
          Was it in fact a gimmic?  As far as I can tell, there is
          nothing to special about the specials.

          PS
          The same person who told me about the boxes of "Special
          Edition" parts (he worked in the parts department) also told
          me tales of spare twin cam motors in crates...

          Kendall