TR6 rear hub endfloat

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: TR6 rear hub endfloat
From: ian@Centric.COM (Ian Macky)
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 92 22:42:21 PDT
Well, I pulled my RH drive shaft.  Would have been real easy except for
the non-stock exhaust which got in the way, but no big struggle.

I measured the adjuster and lock nuts: 2" exactly.  Well, I don't have
anything that size in a wrench, especially slim ones.  I have a couple
adjustable ones that might do, but fixed size is the way to go.

I suppose this is where Special Tool S317 comes in???  I could have a
machine shop make one (or two) of these, I suppose, but who can you buy
them from?  Do any of TRF/Moss/Victoria/etc have a Special Tools
inventory?  Not that I've seen.

My Bentley says at the beginning of the Service Tools section: "All
Service Tools mentioned in this Manual must be obtained direct from the
manufacturers:

    V. L. Churchill & Co. Ltd.
    P. O. Box No. 3
    London Road,
    Daventry, Northants"

Has anyone pinged this address ever?  Do these people still exist?  Seems
doubtful.

Also, the tab washer that secures the two nuts looks to have been cycled
once already, and I'm not keen on using it again (of course), and from the
exploded it looks like you can't disassemble far enough to put in a new
one without a full hub disassembly.  Boo...

Well, that's tonight's exciting update...  pretty pants-wetting stuff, huh??

--ian

PS Oh yeah, got my new pink slip today!  Actually, it's a rainbow slip,
   but the point is it's finally all officially registered!!

   The CHP decided to stick with the (incorrect) CID number on the wheel
   well (the one that said it was Damson, when it was really BRG), instead
   of the never-mentioned-in-the-paperwork original VIN on the windshield
   (which was a much lower number (VIN CC26808, CID CC30255) which is the
   one good thing which came out of that mess)...  They stuck a metal
   property-tag-type CHP sticker on the door LH drivers frame, then drilled
   two holes and riveted it too.  Property CHP =-(