re: parts registration???!

To: rkg@ateq.com
Subject: re: parts registration???!
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 6 Oct 1992 13:09 EDT
>On the way to work this morning, NPR had a short blerb on an anti carjacking
>bill that is being ramrodded (hot rodded?...) through congress.  In passing
>they noted that the bill also had some sort of parts tracking or registration
>provision as well...
>
>Has anyone out there in netland been following this bill, and understand
>what these provisions involve?  As most LBC owners seem to end up being
>car ghouls at one time or another, is this going to create major hassles in
>procuring used parts or will it prevent someone from boning out a car on their
>own?

I haven't heard anything yet, but I'll post your comments to
a few of the internet newsgroups to see if anyone else has heard anything.
It would be just like congress to attempt to solve one problem by
making those of us that work on our own cars criminals because
we don't register parts or some other such nonesense.

Standard Disclaimer- Any opinions, etc. are mine and NOT my employer's.
Note - If email replying to me with an automatic addressing process
bounces, manually address the resend using one of the addresses below.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com