Re: MGB Interiors

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, claudia@hpnst.mayfield.hp.com
Subject: Re: MGB Interiors
From: timd@ptltd.com (Tim Dziechowski)
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 92 13:03:07 EDT
I did the interior of my 79 Midget over last year, and thought that Vicky's
full interior kit (then costing ~$1200, recently reduced) was overpriced.
I shopped around and got most of the same stuff from Bob & Bob at Foreign
Parts Unlimited in Somerville, Mass (617-776-4344) for about half that.
This included:

        - Full interior panel set
        - Full carpet set
        - Vinyl seat sets
        - New headrest covers
        - Door weatherstrip which actually matched my interior
        - New door straps to match interior
        - Loose vinyl for door top rail to match interior

I was really impressed by the fact that they managed to come up with
interior stuff in the more recent Harvest Leaf & Autumn Tan colors,
when everyone else (except Vicky's new kit) carried just black.

I re-used my old seat foams, bottom straps, and clips.  I also put on
a dash coverlay and new top (not covered in above price).  The entire
project took me four weekends (full of interruptions).  I had never
done any car interior work or put on a top before.  Recommendations:

        - Best carpet/seat/top adhesive is the spray stuff from 3M.  It
          comes in two varieties (heavy/light bodied) and has a long enough
          setup time that you can reposition stuff.  Available at any auto
          paint supply store.
        - If you put on a dash coverlay, throw the adhesive that comes with
          it in the dustbin and use auto trim cement.  The supplied adhesive
          will loosen up in the sun and your dash cover will be forever falling
          off.
        - New top and seat recovering is best done on a really hot day.
        - Interior panels come out better if done on a cool day, so the
          vinyl doesn't wrinkle.

The interior work followed a quality paint job which I subbed out to pros.
I loved being able to turn my shabby Midget into a head-turner, and do
it (except for paint) myself!  Good luck with the MGB!

timd@midget.ptltd.com  (Tim Dziechowski - Phoenix Technologies, Ltd.)