Re: Eine kleine Nachtmusik

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com
Subject: Re: Eine kleine Nachtmusik
From: pwv@tc.fluke.COM (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 92 10:28:39 PDT
>From Roland Dudley:

> My apologies to Chevy owners but I've always preferred the subtler
> throaty rumble of a Ford V8 to that of a Chevy V8.  Even the hopelessly
> hacked out Fairlane engine in my snake is my kind of music.

I agree.  Even tho the GM 350 block is much more reliable, there's nothing
like the rumble of a 351 Windsor... (or a really tricked-out 289!)

> And I've noticed a few black puffs and the distinct odor
> of raw gas intermingled with the blue clouds.  So far the only carb
> adjustments I've found were the idle screw and the choke cam screw.  I'm
> sure there's a mixture adjustment there somewhere but I didn't see one
> during a quick lunch time search.  Anyone familiar with 2-barrel carbs
> found on these engines circa 1965.

The idle mixture adjust screws are at the base of the carb body on the
front, one per barrel.  (I'm pretty sure that's right, but I've owned
a GMC truck with a 2-barrel carb since I had the Ford some 20-(mumble...)
years ago, so I may be confusing things.)  Simply frob each adjusting screw
'till you get the best idle.  Much simpler than adjusting SUs!  ;^)

> I rebuilt this carb a number of
> years ago but only recall that it was pretty simple.  Maybe I have a
> manual for it somewhere.

Unless the engine is idling roughly, I would suspect the carb is probably
due for another rebuild, given your description of your snake's (non) use
these past few years.  The gaskets in those carbs tend to dry out and leak
for some reason when the engine is not run regularly.

   Pat Vilbrandt       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
UUCP: pwv@tc.fluke.COM  or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv
ARPA: fluke!pwv@uw-beaver.ARPA

        "Can't wait until I get the car back into the condition I was
                 going to disassemble it to"
                                                        -TeriAnn J. Wakeman