A wanker's woes continued...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: A wanker's woes continued...
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 92 16:28:21 EDT
Well when I left updated you on the state of my backfiring, missing
MGB ('74 B, '69 engine, 45 DCOE 9 Weber) I had replaced the plugs, plug
wires, swapped distributors, replaced the coil, replaced the timing chain,
rebuilt the Weber, put new idle screws in the Weber, and done a bunch
wankering with everything, all to no avail.  Yesterday I finally took it
in to the local MG guru (who has a pretty good reputation around here)
and I just got the bad news: he thinks it's either way over carburated
or there is something internally wrong with the engine.

As you might remember, I blew a head gasket earlier this summer, which
I replaced.  However the problems began soon after.  It is entirely
possible I screwed something up that would be causing these problems.
It looks like I have some work ahead of me.  I think I might try to swap
a set of SUs (I have two spare pairs) on instead of the Weber and see
if that is the problem.  If not it looks like the engine is going to
come apart.  Steve (the local MG guy) said that compression was good
on #2 & #3 and it came up nice and fast, it was good on #1, but came
up slowly, it was just okay on #4 and came up slowly, but it was good
enought that it should run okay.  I'm going to see if I can get
a little more detail when I go pick up the car tonight.  Does this
sound like head problems or piston problems?

Bob